Monday, January 25, 2010

"Phone Tree Day"--The hunt is on

Well, it's not really a phone tree--it's more like me calling them. Practical Magic was on yesterday and the first thing I thought of involving phones was "phone tree day". I have two job prospects that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

1. An office job doing menial tasks--they call it clerical work; I call it office bitch

I was supposed to meet up at 11am last week with the boss, Cliff at a Starbucks in the city. I don't remember the specific reason it was a Starbucks, but it was across the street from Port Authority so it wasn't exactly out of the way. I got there early and waited...and waited...and waited. After calling my contact multiple times who works with him and waiting until 12:15, I left and met up with Vin who works near Grand Central. It was a walk, but it was a nice day. And Cliff called me that night apologizing and asked what my degree was in, how my memory is and my math skills. I don't know if I want to commute 5 days a week to the city. The bus made my stomach flip flop a bit. Nothing bad because it was a smooth ride, but I can't do anything productive on a bus. It's too bumpy and I can't read on moving vehicles. I would do what my mom used to do. I would take a 7:30 bus in to make sure I make it in to work by 9 and grab a 5 or 5:30 bus out and get home at 6:30. I don't want to dedicate 12 hours of my day to work. I would go crazy.

2. My other job prospect is in Jersey. I assume about 40 minutes to an hour away. I would put (in my mom's words) wear and tear on the car, but I don't go crazy when I drive. As long as people aren't being dicks, I'm fine. I get into a driving Zen. Any way, it's at the Phoenix Center. After having the number for almost 2 weeks, I finally called them. The person I need to talk to is on the phone. I'm just glad that they told me to call back later instead of keeping me on hold. The hold music was fun though.

I really want a job. The Phoenix Center is more up my alley because I want to go into counseling. I never worked with autistic kids, but I've worked at a camp for four years. There were about 12-19 girls among me and my junior counselor on any given week I've had campers with special needs, but it was never all of them. Girl with Asberger's here, girl with shunt there, and a few girls that were a little slow. I was never told what was wrong with them, but it had to be something.

Well, that's my babble for now. More when I have a cash flow.

1 comment:

  1. hooray! jobs are excellent. here's hoping you land a good one (or at least, a decent one). what's the status of potential grad school stuff?

    ReplyDelete